- Job Title: Head of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Location: London (with some international travel)
- Contract: Maternity Cover – 8 to 9 months (25th of July 2022 – Apr 2023)
- Reporting to: Director of Research and Innovation
- Salary: £51,727.26 gross per annum
- Closing: 11 July 2022 09:00 UK time
Responsible for: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor; Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer; supervision of Department MEL leads X 3; occasional consultants and volunteers.
Specific responsibilities and tasks
1. Organisation-wide MEL strategies and leadership
- Support teams to implement recommendations from the 2022 mid-term review of our Strategic Plan.
- Use Outcome Harvesting data to review progress against our organisational Theory of Change and Results Framework.
- Foster a culture of organisational learning by using various internal platforms to share our evidence to support communications, programme improvement and adaptation and innovation.
- Facilitate cross-organisational learning spaces to share evidence of what works and what doesn’t in our peace practice.
- Support the development of systems to link evidence from CR peace practice to thematic learning, research, innovation and advocacy, working with the Director of Research and Innovation.
- Support the Communications and Fundraising team to communicate the impact of our work, including through reports to strategic donors.
- Supervise the use of our online system for MEL and Outcome Harvesting in Podio, working closely with Department MEL leads and the Fundraising Team.
- Working with the Gender team to integrate gender into the Outcome Harvesting process and MEL data.
- Set the objectives and guide the work of the MEL team (full time MEL Adviser and MEL Officer) and supervise the MEL work of three Department officers.
- Develop and manage an annual budget for specific MEL activities and monitor expenditure.
2. Outcome Harvesting
- Lead on the application of Outcome Harvesting, ensuring it is used consistently, is providing robust data, and meets organisational standards, vision and values:
- Continue to develop and improve our Outcome Harvesting approach
- Develop and maintain organisational guidelines
- Oversee the quality of implementation of the methodology
- Lead on the delivery of annual Outcome Harvesting Analysis workshops
- Document and analyse Outcome Harvesting results
- Support integration of findings into programmatic work, donor reporting and communications
- Support use of findings for external evaluations
- Share key lessons learned internally
Essential Knowledge, skills and experience
- Thorough knowledge of complexity aware approaches and methodologies for MEL at strategic, organisational and project level.
- Understanding of gender-sensitive approaches to monitoring and evaluation and the challenges of practical implementation.
- Track record of providing professional advice to strategic or cross-organisational MEL processes.
- Track record of working with staff and local partners to provide professional advice and guidance to embed robust MEL practices into programming practice.
- Experience of different measurement and evaluation frameworks and techniques, such as the logical framework approach, theories of change and organisational learning, and participatory techniques.
- Experience or good knowledge of using Outcome Harvesting to measure programming, and of supporting practitioners to use the evidence of Outcome Harvesting results.
- Experience in delivering training and capacity building support and facilitating meetings and events.
- Experience of managing staff, and the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently, and to work collaboratively with a flexible approach.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, and the ability to communicate complex information and arguments clearly and accurately.
- Capacity to listen actively to people from varying backgrounds, and a range of political, cultural, and value orientations.
- Good political judgement, including an appreciation of how to handle sensitive and confidential issues.
- Good IT skills. Including to manage online workshops and database and analysis software such as Zoho Analytics, Microsoft PowerBi and Podio.
Desirable Knowledge, skills and experience
- Knowledge of MEL challenges for peacebuilding.
- A post-graduate qualification or equivalent through experience in a relevant subject area (an advantage).